IT, in all its forms, is at the heart of Teaching and Learning at Latymer Upper School where we encourage students and staff to creatively, sensibly and appropriately explore the learning possibilities offered by digital devices.
We are one of the few schools to have complete one-to-one provision of devices for the whole of the Upper School. Years 7 to 9 have Chromebooks, years 10 and above have iPads. These iPads are managed remotely using the industry standard AirWatch mobile device management system.
We use G-Suite (Google) as the core tool for both students and teachers. All homework tasks are set and managed through Google Classroom and the other Google apps (Docs, Sites, Slides etc) are used to create, collaborate and design. Teachers receive thorough training in how to use these apps to enhance their classrooms, all while keeping a watchful eye on the less desirable aspects of technology.
IT FACILITIES AT LATYMER UPPER SCHOOL
The School has excellent IT facilities and is one of the leaders in this field in the independent education sector. The use of digital technologies in teaching and learning is a key element of the School’s strategy.
Students have access to networked computers throughout the School, including those in the Library, dedicated Computing Department teaching rooms, Design workshops, a Music Mac lab, Art Studio and a Language Department Windows laptops.
There is fast Wi-Fi Internet connection throughout the School provided by Aruba’s enterprise wireless system.
Latymer Upper School takes student safety online extremely seriously and takes pro-active measures to ensure all pupils are protected whilst online at the School. The IT Department monitors and filters both emails and the Internet and protects the students while they are using the School’s computers and the network. IT Facilities include:
· Our Music department features a Music Technology Suite with 24 Apple iMacs. These computers are fitted with professional audio interfaces, enabling professional-level music composition and engineering facilities.
· 142 iPads available in classroom sets for Student use during lessons for year groups 7 to 9.
· Language Department Windows laptops
· Our Art Department has 24 MacBook Pros for lessons in Photoshop and 5 iMacs attached to high quality photo printers.
- Design department is equipped with 5 3D printers, one resin priter and 2 laser cutters for digital fabrication.
· Every teaching room is equipped with a dedicated PC connected to a projector or a large LED TV Screen, a sound system and also an Apple TV and Chromecast for displaying directly from iPads and Chromebooks.
· Two IT suites open during lunchtime - while the other suites are used for extra lessons and extra-curricular activities.
· Printing facilities available to all which is controlled by our Print Management solution.
· Careers Room with accompanying network suite.
· Google Classroom is our Virtual Learning Environment, used for setting tasks and homework assignments.
· Every Student has a network account, a secure storage area as well as an email account and a G-Suite account.
THE IT DEPARTMENT
The IT Department comprises nine full-time members of staff. The Director of IT sets the direction of the department in line with the School’s Digital Strategy to ensure the effective use of technology in teaching and learning, and to provide support for both staff and students.
The Department has an IT Helpdesk which students and staff visit for advice or to request assistance with technical issues.