Partnerships & Community
Latymer…encourages social responsibility. From the very youngest, pupils are encouraged to initiate and contribute to charitable events. Pupils eagerly seek opportunities to serve their school and the wider community.Inspection Report Spring 2011
Latymer Upper School has always strived to be a good neighbour. Edward Latymer set the tone back in 1624 and a strong social conscience remains part of the School's DNA. Today pupils and staff continue to work hard at sustaining existing links and developing new connections with local organisations and the School enjoys exceptionally close links with businesses, charities and primary and secondary schools in and around West London. Latymer really thrives on these relationships - so much so that around 180 pupils every year participate in Service in the Community as part of the Lower Sixth curriculum - see the link below.
School Community projects
Many local schools use our facilities both during the week and at the weekend and hundreds of local children pass through the doors to attend a wide variety of activities. Our Saturday School (sponsored by Adam Phones) -taught by Latymer Upper staff - is long established and more information can be found opposite. However, there are a huge range of other projects including:
- Primary Debating: an exciting project for Y6 pupils from ten local schools. Run by Latymer Upper students, the children meet weekly to learn debating skills, which culminate in a competition
- Tri-Borough Music Hub: Latymer Upper School continues to host this music service for over 100 local children each Saturday
- Latin Club: Latin clubs for primary school pupils are run by Latymer Upper School L6th and held at St Peter’s & St Stephen’s Primary Schools
- Mentors and Learning Support Assistants: L6th students volunteer in local primary schools, after school clubs and community homework clubs and act as mentors for Y10 pupils at The West London Free School
- Partnerships with local Secondary Schools: Schools have included Hurlingham & Chelsea School, West London Free School, Dormer Wells School (Southall), Christ's School (Richmond), Westminster Academy, Burlington Danes Academy, Hammersmith Academy, Sacred Heart School, Ursuline High School, Chiswick School, Acton High School and St Thomas More School. Projects run by Latymer Upper staff have included Twilight Physics & Maths sessions for Y11 pupils and Taster Days for local Y10/11 pupils in Sport and Art History.
-STEM Academy (sponsored by The Sandhu Charitable Foundation): our Saturday STEM Academy aims to inspire local Y9 pupils in Science, Maths & Technology
- Wood Lane Sports Facilities: these are shared with a host of other schools and organisations
- Sports Centre: Our facilities are fully timetabled for use by local sports clubs outside school hours. The swimming pool will be available to local primary schools.